［Jump to main contents］
Gazettes and Reference Materials Library
- The Information Provision Department collects and stores a variety of technical papers, books, databases, and other documents that are needed for both searching prior arts relevant to claimed subject matter and examining the patentability by examiners of the Japan Patent Office (JPO). The materials collected in the library are available for users outside the JPO.
- The Department accepts and stores the examination records and legal status (e.g., granted, refused, registered, appeal/trial records) provided by the JPO, and prepares standardized XML format data for distribution to the public at a sales price equivalent to the marginal costs via the Japan Patent Information Organization (JAPIO). SGML format data will be distributed until August 2012.
- The Department is also responsible for preparing the Patent Abstracts of Japan (PAJ) in English. In cooperation with the JPO, PAJ is issued monthly and distributed worldwide.
Web-Based Industrial Property Data Library (IPDL)
- In cooperation with the JPO, the Information Management Department provides a web-based library service called the Industrial Property Data Library (IPDL). The IPDL contains electronic data on applied patents, granted patents, utility models, granted designs, and registered trademarks. It also stores legal status records.
- The IPDL implements the English pages of abstracts in Japanese patent documents (i.e., Patent Abstracts of Japan or PAJ). PAJ includes bibliographic information, abstracts, and representative drawings for unexamined Japanese patent publications from 1976 to date. Users are allowed to retrieve and browse documents via the Internet. Due to the translation work involved, there is a time delay (of about four months) between the publication of an unexamined patent application in Japan and the availability of the corresponding PAJ abstract. For more information, visit our IPDL site and the IPDL manual download page.